This Page

has been moved to new address

Brown Paper packaging Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whosies--written whatnots: Brown Paper packaging Tutorial

3/17/09

Brown Paper packaging Tutorial

I have a friend -Tiffany- who sends out her sold items from her shop using this:

I asked, she showed, and I share....of course :)
So here is a quick tutorial for everyone out there.
Go to your nearest hardware store.....Lowes, Home Depot...maybe even Ace...and get yourself some of this. You find it in the Paint area, next to the plastic tarp stuff. Comes in a big roll for around 7 bucks.
Open it up, and cut it to length. I even used my rotary and big ruler. That is sooo nice. I know, it dulls them....but easy!! It is a little curly and warpy....just deal with it.
I cut mine into 10 inch strips. Like so:
Then i cut them into 10 inch squares. This is the size i need. You would measure the item you are needing to send and add a few inches to each side for your 'seam allowance'
Fold in half:
Sew around 2 sides: Use a bit longer stitch length so you don't perferate the paper. You wouldn't want anyone taking a peak. I only sewed once since they aren't traveling anywhere. I would recommend sewing twice, you never know.
Stuff item inside:
No pic sorry- i had one, but it showed what i was stuffing and this is for a little quilt thingie coming up and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. So trust me...stuff it and then sew the last side shut: Make sure that nothing is near the sewing edge. You don't want anything sewn to the bag.
And there you have it:
A bunch of little 'paper bags' packages
Don't look at me like that...she seriously sends this in the mail. I am thinking that if it is a flat item like her bibs and such, easy peasy. If it is something larger like my dolls or stuff...i might want to double up on the paper. Protect it just a bit more from getting in those eating, i mean sorting machines. Oh, and don't leave any strings...they love to eat those!
Alternate Applications:
* Birthday goodies/ baggies for kids to take home
* Presents
* Mailing Pictures/papers/magazines/ maybe even a skinny book
* anything you can think of
I am not really a paper person...I am a Cotton person ;) anyways. You could seriosly dress this package up!! Use some stamps, maybe even do some fancy stitching on it, the edges, in different colors even. I used boring white, lazy, didn't want to change it.... Oh, let you kids draw on them! Then you can use it for wrapping anything up cute like.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I've done this before when I haven't had any envelopes and it's super cute! I've used brown paper grocery sacks too, that's for free :)

17/3/09 8:55 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

What a super cute idea!! It sure would be fun...

17/3/09 12:06 PM  
Blogger Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh this is fantastic, I love it! I'll be linking to this.

17/3/09 1:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What a super idea! I mail a lot of patterns and CD's and I think this would work great for both. Is this paper heavier than the plain brown craft paper? It sounds like it is cheaper. I'm so glad I found your blog and this fabulous idea! Thanks!

Cathy ♥

17/3/09 2:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa Crowe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

18/3/09 6:47 AM  
Blogger Melissa Crowe said...

I mail my orders in this same way, but I use recycled Whole Food bags--it's free, and I feel good about reusing them. In order to protect the contents, depending what's inside, I include a piece of rigid cardboard or wrap the piece in some bubble rap (also recycled if possible).

18/3/09 6:47 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Just another reason for me to run out and buy a sewing machine. Thanks for the tutorial!

18/3/09 7:11 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Very cool project!! I posted a link on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-y…gift-packagingtutorial-sew-your-small-gift-packaging/2009/03/18/
--Anne

18/3/09 9:34 PM  
Blogger Jedda said...

I love your blog and just found you via lazy girl. Thanks for the great ideas!

30/3/09 6:20 AM  
Blogger Ronda said...

What a clever idea! A large zig-zag stitch works nicely, too!

30/3/09 7:12 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Beautiful and simple! Thanks so much for sharing. I always struggle with how to package things.

31/3/09 4:56 AM  
Blogger SiSi Sparkles said...

Lovely idea - thanks for sharing:)

8/4/09 7:21 AM  
Blogger Jeana Marie said...

great idea! i've done this before with baking paper (not the waxy sort) and coloured thread to make a pretty wrapping for presents :)

14/4/09 12:30 AM  
Blogger Becky J. said...

that sounds interesting. the string is way cute.

14/4/09 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perforate, not "perferate" and

"you would not want anyone taking a peak" peak is the top of a mountain; a quick look is a "peek"

9/6/09 10:59 PM  
Blogger Becky J. said...

wow- didn't know this was a spelling contest. i thought it was just a tutorial. i will take the 'help' though and make it better next time.

12/6/09 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home