This Page

has been moved to new address

Hermit Behavior and other issues

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whosies--written whatnots: Hermit Behavior and other issues

8/4/09

Hermit Behavior and other issues

I have this issue....well, lots of issues in fact. But today i will just expand on one. I like to be a hermit. I like to stay home. I like to not go shopping to every store and see everyone. I like to just be alone sometimes and not be bothered by others.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am perfectly happy when someone drops by (i love that) and i love to go on vacations and visit places--next week we have one planned...but for the most part. I like to just stay home.
I have my saturday outing of garage sales and the occasional soccer game for Jerika and practice and such. But really, i like to not go anywhere.
this of course would bring on the other issue of procrastination. I wait forever to go the store for food or anything else. Can i do that tomorrow?--not because of overscheduling myself, just because i don't really like to go anywhere.
i am an outgoing person...when around people that i am out with.
When home, quiet.. a little more reserved, causious, careful. maybe that is all bonkus--i am just on slow mo.
anyways--being around people bouyes me up...keeps the juices flowing...if i didn't have church or garage sales, or quilt groups i would probably sink.
Not that i act really that different around others than with my family...ok maybe just a little bit.
Well, This hermit behavior is a hard one to kick. It is addicting to do. then irritating to not do. get it?
It is an ok issue to have when you sell on ETSY too. You know, hide away.....sew away...send things away. It's all great. But when it comes down to sharing with others, and telling them what you do..in person....that is a whole new thing. I am not comfortable with that. I really don't like to toot my own horn, or convince others that the product i sell is sooooo what they need and must buy. some are great at that...me, not so much.
I guess that is why the blog world is growing. Are we all this way? ---in a way? Do we like to hide behind that screen and keyboard? Are we just strong enough to tell everyone we don't know something that we are proud of ourselves for doing? I am. I do.
The only way around that is to get more exposure right? To just bite the bullet and do something about it. To get out of the comfort of hermit home and to reach beyond ourselves and just 'do it'. Maybe this is the year that i move beyond that uncomfortable zone and reach above the easy branch and pick something a little more challenging....but really satisfying. Personal satisfaction.
I began with slow little stretches that took me to selling things at boutiques.....that was one of the year goals and i still have a few of those to do. I really don't like setting up and looking at people who are looking at my stuff. I am caught in second guessing everything, the product, the price, the appearance. Whatever that i think, they think is wrong....or really it is not.
Life is about stretching right? being just a bit uncomfortable...Right? Going beyond what we think we can handle....right? Taking ourselves to a place we never thought we could be...right? Stepping out of that home boundary and finding a new place to explore---to grow....right?
How many times have i stepped away from opportunities to grow because of my own restrictions...time and scheduling not being one. But just because of me?
I don't have any BIG plans to announce, or Exciting NEWS to speak of....just had to ramble a bit. Just had to speak it, acknowledge it, live it and then maybe accepting it.....only to the point of moving on from it. Maybe, just maybe, to Begin something new. Not new in the sence of scrapping everything and starting over, Closing down what i have done, or turning off what is already on....but just to try out some little stretches and become a bit more flexible to more possibilities.










I am already starting to feel the achy muscles.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I am alot like that too! I would rather stay home and sew. I do like to go out with my husband and family. But I have a really hard time getting together with friends, in all honesty, I would rather go out shopping by myself than with friends, for one because it is a nice break from the noisiness of home, and I don't have to worry if I am taking too long at a store or keeping conversation up (cause I really am shy, not as bad as I used to be, but I would still say shy)
Also, I still get those stupid feelings like in High School, like do they really want to be my friend, do they really want to hang out with me, all that stupid crap, not for me. I have friends at church, and I still keep in touch with some friends I worked with for years, but mostly I just hang out with myself, my hubby, and my kids.

As with the selling at boutiques, I get those same feelings of are people going to like my products, are my prices right, are people going to think I am a crazy person for all the things I make. But really, it is just my insecurities, because after the couple years of doing it, I have learned that as long as I love what I do, that is really all that matters. Sometimes I make things that haven't sold very well and I have just taken it as a learning experience. And I have learned to love getting the feedback from people about my things.

I still have to push myself to try new things because I really am a shy person, but I am usually happy I did it in the end :)

It's nice to know that I am not the only one that enjoys being a hermit :)

4/8/09 1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I blogged about that very thing this week too, I am out of work for the first time in a long time and I find myself becoming a hermit. I actually got cranky this week cause I have to go to town three days in a rw, now town is only a 20 minute drive away, but gee when I am in hermit mo don't want to go there!

A lady at my Mum's church ha asked me to do some scrapbooking with their mothers group next week, so I'm thinking that will get me over some of my nerves regarding my skils and sharing with others... maybe!

I do love your blog by the way, I could stay home and read it all day long, but that would make me a hermit...right?

4/8/09 4:14 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hermits ROCK!!! I think that is why we connected, Becky!! I am so much the same way--you put it into words and on the computer screen beautifully!! Thanks for being you and being my friend!! You have helped me to be a little less hermit-like--really. I would NEVER have joined a quilt group on my own accord, much less become PRESIDENT of one!! Yea, I now need to take the ETSY plunge and stretch a titch myself--awesome post!! julie

4/8/09 5:09 PM  
Blogger Becky J. said...

i totally 'dig' those comments. that is what the hermit is saying :) thanks gals!!

4/8/09 11:12 PM  
Blogger ladmquilter said...

I think that a lot of people are like that, I know that I am. You are very good at putting it in words.

5/8/09 4:49 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

This so could have been my very own post.Every word of it describes me, with no exaggeration. I'm glad you are here in bloggerland. I love reading your blog.

6/8/09 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home