This Page

has been moved to new address

Cranky Quilt- 9 Patch

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whosies--written whatnots: Cranky Quilt- 9 Patch

1/22/09

Cranky Quilt- 9 Patch

Welcome
to the
Cranky Quilt Row Quilt
Here are the rules:
* There really are none. hee hee
* There are suggestions on sizes and angles, but in the end it is up to you.
* You need one background piece of fabric. I would suggest getting around 4 1/2 yards for this. It is used as spacers, backgrounds, and some sashing too.
* The rest of the quilt can be scrappy, matching or whatever you grab from your stash or store that you love.
* Each row has a different block that has been "crankified". They are fimiliar blocks that have gone cranky.
* It isn't as intimidating as it looks. Please don't be afraid.
* Each new row will be posted during the 3rd week of each month.
* The patterns will be at the side bar so you can find them easy if you miss something.
* Please leave comments for help. Everyone can make suggestions and i'll email you too.
* The finished size is up to you. You want it small? don't do the amount of blocks suggested. Make only 5 instead of 7 as it says. get it? good.
* I have made mine to around 60X70 inches.
* That's a lot of no rules don't you think?
* Let's get started.

Block one: The 9 patch
This is an easy one to start with. Yay!!

Cut: 63 4 inch squares
Make 9 patches with all of those squares: You will end up making 7 blocks.


Aren't they nice and big? Now the second step. cut them. Yup. Cut them.

Take a big square ruler and offset it on top of each beautiful block. Make sure you don't cut off too much. You need to get this block down to 9 X 9 square.
Do one block at a time it is easier. To cranky it up even more- Turn the ruler a different way with each block. That way they all don't slant in one dirrection.
Your 7 blocks will then look like this:

I know this is a bit wasteful- you can survive.
Don’t get so cranky.
Gosh...
Now more fun:
Add a 1 ½ X 9 inch strip in between each block so it isn’t too cranky together. I used my background fabric for this little sashing. Then sew them together in a row. Don't sew one on the sides, Only between the blocks.
SEE:

I don't have a design wall and so it goes on the floor. My legs are only so tall so you get to see only 3 blocks. Get the idea? good.

(note: I am aware there is a differenc in these blocks. I made my 9 patches using a different method and it was way to difficult and cranky to pass along. So they look just a bit different. The 1st block is what yours will really look like. Sorry for confusion. That won't happen again.)

FINISHED with Row one. Yay!!!

log cabin block

pinwheel block

basket block

ohio star block

friendship star

rail fence

finishing up

**I would love any links if you are doing this or pictures. There will be a flickr group for you to join if you would like to share with the rest of us.

*This is in conjunction with Project Improv. Hop on over and see others and what they are doing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Him I'm going to join you!! I blogged about it here...
http://bananapeelblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/the-cranky-quilt-quilt-a-long/

P.S. love your blog

23/1/09 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a super cute idea! I'm going to try it and I'll let you know when I do. :)
Missy

24/1/09 1:57 AM  
Blogger Larissa Holland said...

you are reeeeeeaaallly makin' me want to attempt my first quilt.

25/1/09 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home